Welcome to the Growing Kind Community!
I’m Amie, the sole creator and director of Growing Kind.
I am basically just like you: a mum who dreams of sleeping through the night and drinking her hot coffee in one sitting!
I’m a huge advocate for PLAY, with a love for AUTHENTIC learning experiences, and a huge appreciation for the raw beauty of NATURE. My parenting and teaching philosophies take on a holistic approach to educating the ‘whole child’. A holistic approach to education views children as unique and whole beings; each with varying physical, intellectual, social, emotional and spiritual qualities. The approach views learning as organic, emergent and experiential as children interact with the natural world and within their community.
“Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all” – Aristotle
My motherhood journey is well underway; with two young children close in age, I am constantly in awe of these little humans. Watching them make connections, experience the world and show such amazement in the littlest things for the very first time has really humbled me and inspired me.
As a qualified Early Childhood Teacher, educating children in the early years is my professional expertise. Over the past 9 years my career has evolved throughout management, curriculum advisor, mentor and teaching roles in some of Brisbane’s most elite and well-reputed childcare centres. This has involved creating and teaching government-approved Kindergarten programs and implementing the Early Years Learning Framework and the Australian Curriculum. Each child, each class and each family that I have encountered in my career holds a special place in my heart; building partnerships and focusing on each child’s unique characteristics is a priority for me. I have specialist research interests in attachments and bonds, sensory processing and nature play, which all intertwine with my mission to instil evidence-based practices into my philosophy.
Soon after becoming a mother (and realising the huge and immense complexity and vulnerability of the job) I realised that I wanted to share my knowledge with other mothers and educators.
With Growing Kind, I aim to bring innovative programs that build upon your parental expertise, whilst assisting in raising resilient and competent learners. I hope to not only reassure you, but also empower you in your role as your child’s first teacher.
Lastly, I vow to care; not only about your child, but also you too! Being involved in the Growing Kind community is an opportunity for you to experience self-care and join a village. After all, we are all on this sleep-deprived, caffeine-restricted, supervised-toileting-trips journey together right? It takes a village to raise a child; come join ours and let me support you!
Growing Kind – Mission Statement
1. Give Back to the Community
– We make monthly donations to Perinatal Anxiety and Depression Australia (https://www.panda.org.au). We have also donated prizes to charities and events including The Big Latch On, Fire Victims Australia and Warrior Mail.
2. Care for the Environment
– We use recycled or reusable packaging wherever possible. Our canvas drawstring bags are sustainable made and can be reused as library bags or toy storage.
3. Empower Parents and Educators
– We acknowledge and respect that families are their childs first teacher. We help guide, support and educate families on latest early childhood research. We share inspiring quotes and spread kindness across our social media platforms.
4. Enhance the social and emotional wellbeing of our next generation
– We share open-ended resources to help stimulate children creative play. We foster play-based learning practices in all of our activities and encourage positive values and dispositions rather than traditional letter and number learning.
Holistic Play meets Mindful Mumma
Coming soon…. eBooks and Online Program
Growing Kind has a commitment to bringing you resources that foster a growth mindset, encourage creativity, independence, curiosity and foster rich and authentic learning.
Everything we do is underpinned by the latest child development research, best practice and a commitment to safety.
We combine our knowledge with the expertise of childhood professionals to bring you a range of blog topics, play recipes and professional development.